I'm a Christian wife & homeschooling mama, saved by faith through grace. I changed my family's diet from SAD (Standard American Diet) to healthy, delicious & nutritious traditional foods. I've recently discovered there's a name for the way that I eat. It's called Primal or Paleo (I like the diet and think of the men and women who worked hard from sunup to sundown, constantly on the go, eating meat, berries they picked, cheese they made. I do not believe in evolution). No grains, legumes, refined sugars, and no/limited dairy.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Flax seed vs Chia seed

Source

Yes, I am talking about the same Ch-ch-ch-chia seeds as on the pets.

I was discussing Flax seeds and chia seeds yesterday, and was telling her that I prefer chia to flax mostly because the flax needs to be used almost immediately after it's ground (if it's vacuum sealed and refrigerated, it'll last longer, but you still don't know exactly when rancidity starts) and flax NEEDS to be ground for any benefits to be had by the body. Flax does have some wonderful benefits, when ground and used quickly. It's high in fiber, has omega 3 fatty acids and lignans.

Chia seeds can be whole or ground, doesn't need to be refrigerated and has lots of benefits, also. More omege 3 fatty acids than flax, rich in antioxidants, fiber, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, zinc & more. They taste slightly nutty, I like to take a spoonful and just chew them every once in awhile. Aztec runners used to use them on their long distance trips, to help sustain them. I keep a baggy in the diaper bag, in case I'm suddenly starving and have nothing else safe to eat with me. They absorb water like nobody's business, making them a suitable egg replacer in some recipes. You can add water to chia seeds and make a gel. Add it to coconut milk, coconut sugar & cacao and you've got yourself a delicious chocolate pudding! Cherry Chia Fresca is supposed to be a yummy drink, I'll have to try it when we can have citrus again.

No comments:

Post a Comment