I'm a Christian wife & homeschooling mama, saved by faith through grace. I changed my family's diet from SAD (Standard American Diet) to healthy, delicious & nutritious traditional foods. I've recently discovered there's a name for the way that I eat. It's called Primal or Paleo (I like the diet and think of the men and women who worked hard from sunup to sundown, constantly on the go, eating meat, berries they picked, cheese they made. I do not believe in evolution). No grains, legumes, refined sugars, and no/limited dairy.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Conventional Banana - Guest post

My best friend, Holly, is awesome. She is who got me started down the whole foods route and encourages me in so many more ways now. I am blessed to have her in my life. She has a lot of wisdom and insight, and she'll be quick to tell you, she also has a few foibles, but we love her anyway ;)
She mentioned "conventional banana" one day, and I asked her to do a guest blog post about it, because it's a great idea.

Without further ado, Holly:

I am an all-or-nothing kind of person.  My husband of nearly seventeen years is very aware of this.   My personality trait can come in handy sometimes, like when we started our whole foods journey.  I got rid of offending foods and didn't invite them back into the house.  We cut out processed food, cold turkey.

Unfortunately, life situations mean you can't always be all-or-nothing.  When I couldn't get food for myself and my family that was perfectly "right" in my mind, I had a mental block.  I felt like a failure.  I felt like all was lost and I was doomed to become morbidly obese once again.  In a moment, I would give up, mentally.

One day, my husband gave me an example that helps me maintain perspective.  He said if I couldn't find an organic banana, I'd eat a Snickers Bar.  While it wasn't exactly like that, it was uncomfortably close to the truth.  He put his hands on my shoulders and looked me very intensely in the eye and told me I could always choose a conventional banana.

For some reason, that thought had never occurred to me.  It applies to many areas of life, not just food choice.  To this day, if he sees my all-or-nothing attitude rear its ugly head, all he has to say is "Choose the conventional banana."  I know exactly what he means and I find the strength to carry on with better until best is available again.

No comments:

Post a Comment